Modex 2014: From best practices to maintenance, attend an on-floor educational session
Modex will once again offer an extensive educational program including 90+ free on-floor educational sessions.
in the NewsState of Logistics 2016: Pursue mutual benefit USC partners with U.S. Department of Commerce on the digital supply chain Case Study: New Transportation Procurement Approach Lowers Costs, Improves Service Heico Companies acquires Ancra Systems automatic truck loading and unloading systems Diesel prices decline for first time in four weeks, EIA reports More News
Modex will once again offer an extensive educational program including 90+ free on-floor educational sessions. The sessions are housed in nine separate theaters located on the far right of the exhibit hall. The seminars run from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, and on Wednesday from 10:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
“The on-floor seminars are presented by industry experts in materials handling and logistics solutions,” said Carmen Murphy, education coordinator of MHI and manager of the Modex educational seminars. “It’s a unique opportunity for attendees to learn more about the latest material handing technologies from exhibitors, industry groups and research institutions.”
Topics range from best practices reviews to maintenance to metrics. Detailed abstracts with key takeaways are included in both on modexshow.com and the Modex app. Each theater holds 100 participants, and it’s first-come/first-served with no standing room allowed, added Murphy.
In conjunction with its report release in January, the U.S. Roadmap for Material Handling & Logistics (mhlroadmap.org) will present “Material Handling and Logistics: The Road to 2025” from 12:45 to 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday in Theater H. This session includes William Ferrell, professor and associate dean of the Department of Industrial Engineering at Clemson University and one of the four authors of the Roadmap. Ferrell will lead a panel discussion of thought leaders. Attendees will get a visionary look at how the industry will change between now and 2025, as the panel identifies the trends and transformations ahead. The challenges of future workforce development will be a special focus.
Additionally, several industry groups will be presenting the latest insights into their technologies. These sessions typically feature three panelists from different companies discussing new developments, applications and uses for the equipment represented by their group. “These industry group sessions always generate lot of interest and high attendance levels,” Murphy said.
Industry group sessions are as follows:
• “2014 Automation: See the Latest & Greatest Modex and the Industry Has to Offer in 45 Minutes,” presented by the Automation Alliance, 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m., Theater G
• “Industrial Work Platforms, Equipment Platforms and Mezzanines,” presented by the Storage Equipment Manufacturers Association (SMA), 12:45 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., Theater H
• “New Products, Trends & Benefits in AS/RS,” presented by Automated Storage/Retrieval Systems (ASRS), 2:15 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., Theater F
• “Justifying Order Fulfillment Automation Required for Peak via Off-Peak Utilization,” presented by Order Fulfillment Solutions (OFS), 3:45 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Theater D
• “A Study of Solutions to Ergonomic Challenges in Material Handling,” presented by Ergonomic Assist Systems and Equipment (EASE), 3:45 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Theater F
• “Best Omni-Channel Practices & Trends,” presented by Integrated Systems & Controls (ISC), 11:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Theater B
• “Interesting New AGV Applications: Where to Start,” presented by Automatic Guided Vehicle Systems (AGVS), 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m., Theater C
• “Considerations for the Planning and Use of Industrial Steel Storage Racks,” presented by Rack Manufacturers Institute (RMI), 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m., Theater G
• “Material Handling and Logistics: The Road to 2025,” presented by U.S. Roadmap for Material Handling & Logistics, 12:45 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., Theater H
• “Design for Maintenance,” presented by Conveyor & Sortation Systems (CSS), 2:15 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., Theater H
• “Robotics and Automation,” presented by the College Industry Council on Material Handling Education (CICMHE), 3:00 p.m. to 3:45 p.m., Theater A
• “Simulation Modeling and Analysis of Facility Logistics and Material Handling Systems,” presented by the College Industry Council on Material Handling Education (CICMHE), 3:45 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Theater D
• “Asset Protection—Guarding Solutions for Industry,” presented by the Protective Guarding Manufacturers Association (ProGMA), 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m., Theater C
• “Rack Storage—Specification, Standards, Codes and Certification Protocols,” presented by the Rack Manufacturers Institute (RMI), 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m., Theater C
• “Easy C/VLM Cost Justification: Calculate the True Cost and ROI of Carousels and Vertical Lifts,” presented by Automated Storage/Retrieval Systems (ASRS), 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m., Theater E
• “The Omni-Channel Challenge—Technologies to Leverage Inventory for On-Time Accurate Order Fulfillment,” presented by Order Fulfillment Solutions (OFS), 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m., Theater G
• “Radio Controls—Making a Reliable Connection,” presented by the Electrification and Controls Manufacturers Association (ECMA), 12:45 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., Theater B
• “Plugging the Holes in Your Extended Supply Chain,” presented by Supply Chain Execution Systems & Technologies (SCE), 12:45 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., Theater D
• “Optimizing Your Available Storage Space,” presented by the Storage Equipment Manufacturers Association (SMA), 12:45 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., Theater F
• “Building the Business Case for Automation,” presented by the Automation Alliance, 1:30 p.m. to 2:15 p.m., Theater A
• “Managing Your Integrated System Project for Success…or Failure,” presented by Integrated Systems & Controls (ISC), 2:15 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., Theater D
• “Answering the Multi-Channel Shipping Paradox: How to Handle Cartons and Bags,” presented by Conveyor & Sortation Systems (CSS), 2:15 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., Theater H
All of the PowerPoint Presentations will be captured in PDF format and synchronized in a Flash file with audio recordings of each session. These files will be posted to modexshow.com after the conclusion of the show.
Modex 2014 is scheduled to be held March 17-20, 2014 in Atlanta’s Georgia World Conference Center. The tradeshow will showcase the latest manufacturing, distribution and supply chain solutions in the material handling and logistics industry. Modern’s complete Modex 2014 coverage.
About the AuthorSara Pearson Specter Sara Pearson Specter has written articles and supplements for Modern Materials Handling and Material Handling Product News as an Editor at Large since 2001. Specter has worked in the fields of graphic design, advertising, marketing, and public relations for nearly 20 years, with a special emphasis on helping business-to-business industrial and manufacturing companies. She owns her own marketing communications firm, Sara Specter, Marketing Mercenary LLC. Clients include companies in a diverse range of fields, including materials handing equipment, systems and packaging, professional and financial services, regional economic development and higher education. Specter graduated from Centre College in Danville, Ky. with a bachelor’s degree in French and history. She lives in Oregon’s Willamette Valley where she and her husband are in the process of establishing a vineyard and winery.
Subscribe to Modern Materials Handling Magazine!Subscribe today. It's FREE!
Find out what the world’s most innovative companies are doing to improve productivity in their plants and distribution centers.
Start your FREE subscription today!
System Report: Brownells new DC is flexible and responsive Pallet Usage Report: Pallets Remain Critical in the Modern-Day Warehouse View More From this Issue