Conveyor technology: Are you thinking differently?
April 01, 2013 - MMH Editorial
While a majority of respondents (56%) plans to spend less than $75,000 on conveyor systems, parts and accessories in the next 12 months, 16% plan to spend more than $500,000, including nearly 11% who plan to spend in excess of $1 million.
Conveyors at work
From belt to towline conveyors, the conveyor industry offers a diverse mix of products. Modern’s readers are employing them all:
- 70% are using belt conveyor
- 51% are using roller conveyor
- 51% are using gravity flow conveyor
- 50% are using roller conveyor
- 44% are using motor-driven roller conveyor
- 40% are using accumulation conveyor
While fewer readers have installed sortation systems, the mix among those who have is fairly evenly divided among the different speed offerings:
- 17% are using high-speed sortation (150 cpm & up)
- 16% are using medium-speed sortation (50 to 150 cpm)
- 15% are using slow-speed sortation (up to 50 cpm)
For the first time, we asked respondents to describe their handling environment and the types of products they are conveying and sorting.