Year in Review: Top materials handling news in 2017
The industry's momentum continues to build, even as it changes shape to adapt to technology; acquisitions across technology competencies have heralded the arrival of Consolidation 2.0, while automation and cybersecurity shake up the way players throughout the supply chain do business.
Warehouse in the NewsOther Voices: Optimizing WES with integrated order consolidation 5 food and beverage technology trends Other Voices: Seven surefire ways to fuel warehouse productivity Stretch wrapper eliminates product damage in transit for metal fabricator New conveyors improve food maker’s process in less space More Warehouse News
Warehouse ResourceCase Study: Nilfisk Uses Voice for Inspection Learn how Nilfisk, a leading provider of commercial cleaning solutions, chose to implement voice into their picking process to help improv
The industry’s momentum continues to build, even as it changes shape to adapt to technology; acquisitions across technology competencies have heralded the arrival of Consolidation 2.0, while automation and cybersecurity shake up the way players throughout the supply chain do business. The next year promises continued change, but unlike the uncertainty—verging on panic—that characterized 2016, the industry seems poised to overcome obstacles and seize opportunities.
Here is a collection of the biggest headlines and most telling developments of 2017:
Mergers, acquisitions and partnerships
● Toyota acquires Bastian Solutions and Vanderlande to form new intralogistics division
● Hyster-Yale acquires controlling interest in Zhejiang Maximal, Chinese specialist in utility and standard lift truck segments
● I.D. Systems to acquire Keytroller, combining leaders in mobile asset management technologies
● International technology group Körber acquires HighJump, cloud-based supply chain software specialists, and DMLogic, provider of modular WMS
● ADSI, Agile Network and Pantechnik merge, form Logistyx Technologies
● Epson partners with Loftware to create new solution for color label printing
● Optricity, Bastian Solutions partner to provide advanced warehouse optimization services
● Robotic Industries Association announces new alliance with OSHA, NIOSH to improve awareness of traditional industrial robots and emerging collaborative systems
● Manufacturing industry suffers image problem, yet critical to U.S. prosperity
● New study highlights progress of digitalization of U.S. manufacturers
● PwC and MAPI release survey on state of IoT in manufacturing
● ABI Research: Manufacturer adoption of collaborative robots is strong
● The Manufacturing Institute, Deloitte and APICS release new study on women in manufacturing
● Manufacturing Day: 2,716 events from Hawaii to Alaska to Puerto Rico
Research and economy
● Shortage of skilled workers No. 1 concern, economy second for first time since 2013
● Deloitte study: Consumer businesses operate with a false sense of security about cyber risk
● A3 report: North American automation market shattering records in 2017
● Conveyor Equipment Manufacturers Association reports unexpectedly strong gains in 2017
● APICS addresses talent shortage through expanded supply chain stem program
In other news
● ProMat sees 20% attendance increase; largest event in show history
● Pack Expo Las Vegas sets attendance record
● Importance of operator training focus of National Forklift Safety Day 2017
● American Logistics Aid Network coordinates recovery from hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Jose
Subscribe to Modern Materials Handling Magazine!Subscribe today. It's FREE!
Find out what the world’s most innovative companies are doing to improve productivity in their plants and distribution centers.
Start your FREE subscription today!
Article TopicsAssociation for Advancing Automation · Automation · Bastian Solutions · Conveyor Equipment Manufacturers Association · Economy · HighJump Software · Hyster-Yale Materials Handling · ID Systems · Internet of Things · IoT · Keytroller · Korber AG · Logistics · Manufacturing Day · Materials Handling · National Forklift Safety Day · Pack Expo · ProMat · Robotic Industries Association · Robotics · Safety · Supply Chain · Supply Chain Software · Technology · Toyota Industrial Equipment · Toyota Material Handling · Vanderlande Industries · Women in Manufacturing · Women Leaders In Logistics · Yale · ·
Conveyors & sortation: Carrying the e-commerce burden 2018 Productivity Achievement Awards View More From this Issue