Subscribe to our free, weekly email newsletter!


AGVS industry group releases summer 2012 quarterly report

The Automatic Guided Vehicle Systems (AGVS) Industry Group of Material Handling Industry of America (MHIA) reports sales are still strong.
By Modern Materials Handling Staff
July 20, 2012

The Automatic Guided Vehicle Systems (AGVS) Industry Group of the Material Handling Industry of America (MHIA) has released its Summer 2012 Quarterly Report titled Automatic Guided Vehicle Industry Sales Projections for 2012 Still Strong. The report asserts that the flexibility and versatility of automatic guided vehicles (AGVs) and systems bolstered by evolutionary advances in controls are key selling points that have led to this growth.

“In 2011, AGVS member companies saw dollar sales of $108 million, including 925 vehicles and 130 systems sold,” notes Sarah Carlson of Daifuku Webb and Chair of AGVS.“Halfway through 2012, our industry continues to see a high level of interest and many orders already on the books,” says Carlson. “The economy continues to improve and more companies are looking to add automation to further increase productivity and lower their operating costs.”

Manufacturing operations continue to be the primary end users of AGVs, says Randy Winger, Dematic Corporation and Vice Chair of AGVS. “In 2011, manufacturing accounted for 75% of all systems, with the remaining 25% in distribution centers.”

The report notes that facilities are investing in AGV systems because of their inherent flexibility and scalability. The bulk of that flexibility can be attributed to a continuous evolution of the controls and software that direct the vehicles’ travel and tasks.

“Today’s AGV systems can be reconfigured to new paths in a matter of minutes with the advent of point-and-click, drag-and-drop graphics in the control software,” Winger continues.

Quarterly Reports are a new information source from several Industry Groups of MHIA. Each report will focus on trends in the use of material handling and logistics equipment, such as guided vehicles or automated storage, to solve challenges in the plant and warehouse ranging from sustainability to productivity in the new economy.

Members of MHIA Industry Groups are suppliers of material handling and logistics equipment and systems. These industry experts make it their business to evaluate operational challenges and solve them efficiently and cost effectively. That makes them authoritative sources for solutions to challenges that end users face on a daily basis.

AGVS members are the leading suppliers of Automatic Guided Vehicle Systems. Many are supplying systems worldwide and in virtually every major manufacturing and distribution sector. AGVS member companies meet regularly to review, discuss and revise the standards for design, performance and safe operation of automatic guided vehicle systems. AGVS members are committed to the development, maintenance and publishing of industry standard specifications for these systems.

Automatic guided vehicle industry reports strong sales in 2011
The Automated Guided Vehicle Systems (AGVS) Industry Group of the Material Handling Industry of America (MHIA) reported on Monday that its member companies saw a 25% increase in sales of AGVs in 2011, totaling $108 million.

Subscribe to Modern Materials Handling magazine

Subscribe today. It's FREE!
Find out what the world’s most innovative companies are doing to improve productivity in their plants and distribution centers.
Start your FREE subscription today!

Recent Entries

Instead of ignoring a forklift fleet and its associated costs, asking the right questions can lead to substantial savings.

This white paper outlines five ways to increase profits with automation. By implementing automated storage and retrieval equipment-such as horizontal carousels, vertical carousels and vertical lift modules, multiple areas of a manufacturing or distribution facility will benefit from savings in inventory accessibility, floor space, time, improved ergonomics and better accuracy.

Zebra gains instant access to complimentary technologies. But first, it needs to integrate a former partner that is 2-1/2 times its size.

Distribution requirements are changing. Few distribution managers would quibble with that statement. The increase in the demand for mixed cases, mixed cartons, aisle ready pallets and, most importantly, the increase in the volume of e-commerce orders is driving new levels of investment in automation.

MDT works with Mitsubishi Electric to ensure technical competence in providing change management support for Mitsubishi Electric Automation products.

Article Topics

News · Automation · AGVs · MHI · Automatic Guided Vehicles · MHIA · All topics


© Copyright 2013 Peerless Media LLC, a division of EH Publishing, Inc • 111 Speen Street, Ste 200, Framingham, MA 01701 USA