Modex 2012: New show, new city, new solutions for materials handling and supply chain
Held for the first time ever, Modex 2012—the nation’s newest expo for materials handling, supply chain and logistics solutions—throws open its doors here in Atlanta at 10 a.m. The Georgia World Congress Center will host more than 20,000 visitors to the trade show and educational conference, sponsored by the Material Handling Industry of America (MHIA).
Spread over four days, attendees will find more than 500 exhibits, three keynotes, 70 show floor educational seminars, and no less than 30 different educational sessions and networking events presented by 17 different co-located partners. Modex is not only a new show for MHIA, but a new format in a new town.
“When I was an MHIA board member, I chaired our trade show work group, and in 2005 we re-examined our show plan,” said George Prest, CEO of MHIA. “We did extensive research, and the bottom line was there was an opportunity to eliminate some geographic overlap between ProMat in Chicago and our previous show in Cleveland.”
The research also showed that Atlanta would be an ideal location for a new show, added Prest, not only because of the region’s heavy concentration of supply chain and logistics professionals, but also because of the Panama Canal expansion.
“Also, we had a lot of feedback requesting a conference-based format presenting a broader range of ‘big picture’ topics that encompassed supply chain, education and equipment—attendees told us they wanted us to bring all the voices of the supply chain together in a collaborative event,” he added. “Therefore, the Modex 2012 conference features leading-edge topics in manufacturing, distribution and the supply chain, exploring subjects as such as the impact of the Panama Canal expansion to sustainability, security and visibility.”
In addition to learning more about the big picture in supply chain, Modex 2012 attendees will discover new equipment solutions to streamline operations and improve visibility, maximize efficiency and flexibility, cut costs and speed time to market. Exhibits from industry, commerce and government will be showcased throughout the 150,000 square foot show floor. Leading manufacturers will display a multitude of technologies, including:
- Materials handling equipment and systems
- Packaging, containers and shipping equipment
- Inventory management and controlling technologies
- Dock and warehouse equipment and supplies
- Automatic identification equipment and systems
- Supply chain management
To make it easier for attendees to find the solutions they need, the show floor is divided into four solution-specific sections:
- Manufacturing and Assembly Solutions Center: Features component parts, attachments, equipment and systems for more efficient manufacturing, distribution, and assembly operations.
- Fulfillment and Delivery Solutions Center: Showcases order fulfillment, order assembly, third-party logistics, warehousing, distribution and transportation activities.
- Information Technology (IT) Solutions Center: Offers software solutions or consulting services that support manufacturing, warehousing, distribution and logistics operations.
- The Knowledge Center: Comprised of six theaters in the back right of the exhibit hall, this area will host seventy, 45-minute free educational sessions about the productivity solutions the materials handling and logistics industry has to offer. Sessions are first-come, first-served and run through Wednesday.
Designed to present attendees with a big picture view of how changes in the global supply chain are going to impact their daily operations, three keynote presentations are being sponsored by MHIA. Held today, tomorrow and Wednesday, each from 8:45 a.m. to 9:45 a.m., the keynotes feature experts in the fields of global supply chain management and associated logistics challenges.
Grab your badge, stroll the aisles, and see the peachiest technologies and solutions for logistics and materials handling at Modex 2012
Modex 2012 is scheduled to be held February 6-9, 2012 in Atlanta’s Georgia World Congress Center. The tradeshow will showcase the latest manufacturing, distribution and supply chain solutions in the material handling and logistics industry. Modern’s complete Modex 2012 coverage.